Board Members: Drs. Ardakani, Gross, Sherman, Scovill, Lavin, Song, Skay, Meisel, Fasciani, Ordonez, Chinn, Ciuffreda, Mathieson, Dexter, and El-Moghrabi.
Call to order: 6:34 pm
Secretary: Dr. Roula El-Moghrabi
Reviewed May 2020 Minutes; motion to accept minutes as written by Dr. Sherman, second by Dr. Gross, motion passed.
Treasurer: Dr. Simona Grosu
-Reviewed May P&L; motion to accept May P&L as written by Dr. Gross, second by Dr. Sherman, motion passed.
-Motion to change budget for remainder of 2020 by Dr. Wendy Gross and Second by Dr. Amanda Dexter. Motion passed by majority email vote on May 24, 2020
President-Elect: Dr. Alexandra Scovill
Discussed vendor dinner; will tentatively give each vendor one ticket to the Holiday Party
Immediate Past President: Dr. Robert Grazian (absent)
President: Dr. Wendy Gross
Reviewed first CE Webinar
Discussed restructuring our society around virtual meetings
- Changes to schedule, types of events, sponsorship program, pricing, etc
- Live webinars considered as live CE; may be permanent Discussed COA Virtual Legislative day – Meeting took place Monday, June 1 at 6PM
- Discussed importance of participation in virtual meetings with legislators to advocate for our profession
- Talking points and more information available on COA website
- Meeting schedular contact: Dr. Meisel (email@example.com)
- Follow up Reception – Monday, June 15 at 6PM
Save the Date: Holiday Party to be held at Hotel Republic on December 5, 2020
Vendor Liaison: Dr. David N. Sherman
Discussed sponsors late on payments: ABB optical, Novartis, B&L, and VSP.
Governmental Affairs: Dr. Richard Skay
-Short update on legislative races -Discussed efforts on obtaining security fences to prevent burglary in optometric offices
Professional Affairs: Dr. Amanda Dexter
-Discussed next CE: June 25th: 2-HR by Dr Pinakin Davey
COA Health Care Delivery Systems (HCDS) Liaison: Dr. Andrew Fasciani
LOVC Liaison: Dr. Michael Morgan (absent)
LOVC currently closed due to COVID-19
Communications: Dr. Nickolet Boermans & Dr. Lucia Millet (absent)
June 2020 newsletter: deadline for entries is the 15th of the prior month.
Webmaster: Dr. Ilya Volk (absent)
Membership: Dr. David Ardakani
OD Relations: Dr. John Fitzpatrick (absent)
Peer Review: Dr. Paul Lavin
Discussed holding election voting at annual meeting in November at the beginning instead of the end to prevent members from leaving early.
Public Awareness: Dr. Bob Meisel
Discussed new banner for SDCOS health fairs / public events
- Within the means of the new budget and approved by the board.
No VSP Mobile Clinics in 2020 Monarch screening in the fall semester
- depending on school being virtual or not
- Dr. Jenn Chinn – Co-Membership chair/New Member Liaison
- Dr. Kathryn Ordonez – Sunshine Coordinator
- Dr. Marcelline Ciuffreda – Richard Rex Fund Liaison
- Dr. Tiana Mathieson – Co-Public Awareness
- Dr. Nina Song – School Liaison
- Dr. Tatyana Budarina (absent) – Signs Liaison
Honorary Board Member: Dr. Byron Newman (absent) Administrative Director: Nancy-Jo Sinkiewicz
Meeting adjourned: 7:45 pm
Next Board Meeting: August 6, 2020, location: Virtual meeting using Zoom