Board Members: Drs. Scovill, Grazian, Gross, Biaggi, Skay, Sherman, Wong, Morgan, Ciuffreda, Millet, Fasciani, Ardakani
Meeting began: 7:07pm
Secretary: Dr. Alexandra Scovill
Reviewed October 2019 Minutes, motion to accept minutes as written by Drs. Skay and Morgan, motion passed.
Treasurer: Dr. Wendy Gross
Reviewed 2019 October financial statement and 2019 Year to Date P&L, 2020 Budget has been drafted and still needs to be approved by the board.
President-Elect: Dr. Michelle Biaggi
Immediate Past President: Dr. Michael Morgan
President: Dr. Robert Grazian
- Discussed SDCOS 2-HR CE, Handlery Hotel, Thursday, November 14th, 2019, Dr. Justin Kwan, O.D., MGD, and dry eye technology.
- Discussed Annual Holiday Party, Dec. 7th, Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa, $40 per person, includes banquet dinner, two drink tickets, and raffle. Music DJ, dance floor, and photobooth.
- Discussed LOVC volunteer doctors needed to perform eye exams M-F, 9-12:30pm at LOVC Clinic.
- Discussed House of Delegates, Feb. 21-22, 2020, Los Angeles, Renaissance Airport Hotel, Sign-up sheet available.
- Discussed COA Legislative Day, April 22, 2020, Sacramento.
- Discussed New SDCOS President notebook computer.
- New Trustees, Board nominations:
- Secretary: Dr. Roula El-Magrabi
- Webmaster: Dr. Ilya Volk
- Trustees: Drs. Tatyana B, Song, Mathieson
- Motion to accept new board members by Drs. Grazian and Skay, motion passed
- Discussed Annual membership meeting on November 14th, closed doors.
- Reviewed Society employee annual review. Motion to approve employee review by Drs. Skay and Sherman, motion passed.
Vendor Liaison: Dr. Dave Sherman
- Voted on 2020 Sponsors:
- Motion to accept NVISION as a platinum sponsor by Drs. Skay and Sherman, motion passed.
- Motion to accept Nordic Natural and Coopervision as sustaining sponsors by Drs. Skay and Sherman, motion passed.
- Discussed educational event request, Paragon CRT event tentative July 16, 2020, 6:30-8:30pm, Henry Restaurant. No cost to SDCOS.
Governmental Affairs: Dr. Dick Skay
Discussed annual optometric political funds available for donation.
Professional Affairs: Dr. Amanda Dexter (absent)
- Attendance of October 17th 2-HR CE, total members and guests: 103, and total number included 20 sponsors.
HCDS: Dr. Andrew Fasciani
LOVC Liaison: Dr. David Wong
Communications: Dr. Nickolet Boermans (absent) & Dr. Lucia Millet
September newsletter: deadline for entries is 15th of the prior month.
Webmaster: Dr. Stephanie Le (absent)
Discussed MailChimp communication platform.
OD Relations: Dr. John Fitzpatrick (absent) Dr. Grazian for Dr. Fitzpatrick
- Purged the OD’s from the list who don’t want to be called for fill-in work.
- SDCOS member complaint about excess cell phone usage throughout CE meeting.
Peer Review: Dr. Paul Lavin (absent)
Public Awareness: Dr. Bob Meisel (absent) Dr. Grazian for Dr. Meisel
1) Reviewed Monarch School stats: 72 patients seen with 68 Rxs prescribed
Thank you to Drs. Skay, Recker, Chen, Grazian, and Meisel for their volunteer assistance.
2) Monarch spring semester screening and exam dates are yet to be determined.
3) Discussed UCSD AMSA health fair in National City at Montgomery-Waller Park,
Informational only; passing out brochures and answering questions.
Saturday, April 11, 2020, 10:00am -3:00pm.
4) Discussed the future of SDCOS golf tournament (w/o Dr. Meisel coordinating it), will re-address at the next meeting.
Membership: Dr. David Ardakani
- Reviewed October 20th COA President’s Council meeting.
- Bylaw changes for COA voting system: Motion to make a COA bylaw change to move from a caucus voting system to ranked choice voting system by Drs. Ardakani and Skay, motion passed.
- Discussed Young OD’s meeting, ugly sweater party, December 14th
Richard Rex Liaison: Dr. Michael Morgan
Motion to recess by Drs. Grazian and Skay, motion passed.
Dr. Jenn Chinn Co-Membership (absent) young OD event Dec. 14th
Dr. Marcelline Ciuffreda Holiday Party Committee
Dr. Simona Grosu Co-Public Awareness, Holiday Party Committee (absent)
Dr. Anita Koo School Liaison (absent)
Dr. Kathryn Ordonez Sunshine Committee (absent)
Honorary Board Member: Dr. Byron Newman
Guests: Nancy-Jo Sinkiewicz, Administrative Director
Tatyana Budarina, O.D.
Roula El-Mograbi, O.D.
Nina Song, O.D.
Tiana Mathieson, O.D.
Ilya Volk, O.D.
Final list of SDCOS board members voted in for 2020:
President: Wendy Gross, OD
President-Elect: Alexandra Scovill, OD, FAAO
Treasurer: Simona Grosu, OD
Secretary: Roula El-Moghrabi, OD
Past President: Robert Grazian, OD
Membership: David Ardakani, OD
Vendor Liaison: David N. Sherman, OD
Professional Affairs: Amanda K Dexter, OD, FAAO
Governmental Affairs: Richard Skay, OD
Co-Communications Liaison: Lucia Millet, OD
Co-Communications Liaison: Nickolet Boermans, OD
Webmaster: Ilya Volk, OD
Public Awareness: Robert Meisel, OD, FAAO
OD Relations: John Fitzpatrick, OD
Peer Review: Paul Lavin, OD, FAAO
COA Health Care Delivery Systems Liaison: Andrew Fasciani, OD
LOVC Liaison: Michael Morgan, OD
Trustee: Tatyana Budarina, OD
Trustee: Jenn Chinn, OD
Trustee: Marceline Ciuffreda, OD
Trustee: Tiana Mathieson, OD
Trustee: Kathryn Ordonez, OD
Trustee: Nina Song, OD
Honorary Trustee: Byron Y. Newman, OD
Administrative Director: Nancy-Jo Sinkiewicz
Next Board Meeting: January 9, 2020, at FruitCraft – Fermentery & Distillery on 1477 University Avenue San Diego, CA 92103
Meeting adjourned: 8:59pm