Board Members: Drs. Gross, Grosu, Grazian, El-Moghrabi, Boermans, Sherman, Volk, Dexter, Ciuffreda, Lucia, Fasciani, Chin, Ardakani, Skay, Meisel, Ordonez, Song, Sherman, and Mathieson.
Call to order: 6:42pm
Secretary: Dr. Roula El-Moghrabi
Reviewed March 2020 Minutes; motion to accept minutes as written by Dr. Grosu, second by Dr. Dexter, motion passed.
Treasurer: Dr. Simona Grosu
- Reviewed March and April P&L; motion to accept P&L by Dr. Skay, second by Dr. Sherman, motion passed.
- Discussed looking for a different payroll company with lower fees.
President-Elect: Dr. Alexandra Scovill (absent)
Discussed alternatives to vendor dinner; will tentatively give each vendor one ticket to the Holiday Party
Immediate Past President: Dr. Robert Grazian
President: Dr. Wendy Gross
- Motion by Dr. Gross to sponsor the SCCO student bowl in the amount of $200 (Gold Sponsorship), second by Dr. Fasciani, motion passed by email vote on 04/10/2020.
- Discussed changes due to COVID-19: Refer to website for updates
- Discussed Holiday Party:
- Location: Hotel Republic, Downtown San Diego
- Date: December 5, 2020
- Theme: Roaring 20s
- Discussed new OD event and fundraiser ideas
- Interested Sponsors: VSP and Alcon
- Bocci ball tournament at Stone Brewery in Liberty Station in June – CANCELLED
- Virtual alternatives: maybe Raffle?
- Planning committee: Drs. Gross, Millet, Fasciani, and Meisel
- Discussed CE Schedule changes
- Discussed Budget changes
Vendor Liaison: Dr. David N. Sherman
- Discussed sponsor update
- Discussed contacting sponsors: ABB optical, B&L, Novartis and VSP to release funds.
Governmental Affairs: Dr. Richard Skay
- Discussed Continued Education Changes:
- If license expires between March 31st -June 30th, the CE requirements are waived until October 1st.
- Interactive online CE counts as live CE
- Advocating Telehealth expansion
- COA Legislative Day – CANCELLED due to COVID-19 (Previously scheduled for April 22)
Professional Affairs: Dr. Amanda Dexter
- Discussed updated 2020 CE Calendar through Zoom Webinars.
- Upcoming CE: May 28th with Dr. Vin Dang
- June 25th: Dr. Pinakin Davey (Glaucoma)
- July 16th: Dr. Srinivas Iyengar (Oculoplastics)
COA Health Care Delivery Systems (HCDS) Liaison: Dr. Andrew Fasciani
LOVC Liaison: Dr. Michael Morgan (absent)
LOVC currently closed due to COVID-19
Communications: Dr. Nickolet Boermans & Dr. Lucia Millet
May 2020 newsletter: deadline for entries is the 15th of the prior month.
Webmaster: Dr. Ilya Volk
Membership: Dr. David Ardakani
- Discussed virtual events: MDs and ODs mingle on Zoom.
- Possible Fundraiser event
- Discussed sponsorship (interest from VSP and Alcon)
- Discussed ideas to promote new membership:
- Reach out by phone or email to non-members to encourage them to sign up
- Discussed COA’s membership campaign, “COA 2020 are you in”
- Resources on COA website
- New member contest: The society that gets the highest percentage of non-members to join, will get a reward.
OD Relations: Dr. John Fitzpatrick (absent)
Peer Review: Dr. Paul Lavin (absent)
Public Awareness: Dr. Bob Meisel
- UCSD Health Fair – CANCELLED (Previously scheduled for April 11)
- Banner committee: Drs. Ilya, Aardakani, and Skay
- Monarch exams – RESCHEDULED to October 13-14 (tentatively, based on VSP Mobile Clinic availability)
- Need to set a screening date in September based on Monarch schedules
- Fall semester Monarch School screening – TBD
- Veterans Stand Down – POSTPONED
- Reschedule date TBD
Dr. Jenn Chinn Co-Membership chair/New Member Liaison
Dr. Kathryn Ordonez Sunshine Coordinator
Dr. Marcelline Ciuffreda Richard Rex Fund Liaison
Dr. Tiana Mathieson Co-Public Awareness
Dr. Nina Song School Liaison
Dr. Tatyana Budarina (absent) Signs Liaison
Honorary Board Member: Dr. Byron Newman (absent)
Administrative Director: Nancy-Jo Sinkiewicz
Meeting adjourned: 7:47pm
Next Board Meeting: June 4, 2020, location: Virtual meeting using Zoom