Board Members: Drs. Biaggi, Gross, Grazian, Sherman, Morgan, Fasciani, Boermans, Millet, Cervantes, Lavin, Wong, White, Cheng
- Dr. Val (Guest of Dr. David Wong)
- Dr. Jason Tu; Announcements:
- Distinguished Service Award (by AOA) given to Dr. Joseph Mallinger, O.D., M.B.A., F.A.A.O.; award ceremony will take place at Optometry’s meeting on June 20th in Denver, Colorado.
- Discussed SoCal OD Mixer 2018 as well as 2018 graduating class presentations at SCCO on May 21st and Western University College of Optometry on May 22nd (12-1pm). Looking for members to attend.
Call to order: 6:40pm
Secretary: Dr. Wendy Gross
- Reviewed March Minutes. Motion by Grazian and Morgan to approve meeting minutes as written. Motion passes.
Treasurer: Dr. Michelle Biaggi
- Review P&L
- SoCal OD Mixer 2018 – VSP sponsored $2500; only $50 extra per society. An iPad will be raffled off and there will be a free drink ticket for every attendee.
- By-Laws for SDCOS checks – Current codified policy says 2 signatures needed on every check, but may cause delays. Dr. Biaggi proposed we change to 1 signature on every check or amend to match more realistic practices. No decision made at this time.
President-Elect: Dr. Robert Grazian
- COA has requested that SDCOS hold a reception for Brian Jones, candidate for 38th District, California State Senate. Location will be Dr. Grazian’s office in Santee. Date and time TBD. Looking for ~30 attendees.
Immediate Past President/Richard Rex Fund: Dr. Ketan Bakriwala No report
President: Dr. Michael Morgan
- Political Donation status
- Thursdays 2 Hr Meeting update – Ketan will be leading the next board meeting
- International Optometry Conference – Scotland proposed advertising for advertising exchange. May offer advertisement in our newsletter, but no money exchange.
- 2018 Graduating Class Presentations (COA) – Looking for members to attend upcoming events (Western University College of Optometry Tuesday May 22, 12-1pm)
Vendor Liaison: Dr. Dave Sherman
- Luxottica is interested in becoming a sponsor for SDCOS – Waiting for an official application or offer, no decision made at this time.
Governmental Affairs: Dr. Dick Skay
Professional Affairs: Dr. Morgan for Dr. Amanda Dexter
- Optometry’s Meeting (Denver, CO): AOA Distinguished Service Award (Dr, Mallinger) and AOA OD of the Year (Dr. Redman). COA would like to host a dinner on Wednesday, June 20th.
- Motion by Sherman and White to contribute $5,000 to dinner; funds coming from facility rental/catering. Motion passes.
HCDS:Dr. Drew Fasciani
LOVC Liaison: Dr. Erin Swift
Communications: Dr. Nickolet Boermans & Dr. Lucia Millet
Newsletter due date
Webmaster: Dr. Susan Cervantes
-Square is taking over for Paypal
OD Relations: Dr. John Fitzpatrick
-List is working well
Peer Review: Dr. Paul Lavin
Public Awareness: Dr. Bob Meisel
Membership: Dr. Eric White
- New Grad BBQ – might need venue change due to renovations at Dr. White’s house.
- Imperial Valley Optometric Society proposal- would like to merge with San Diego. Will propose change to COA.
- Dr. Eric White will be leaving the board – No decision made on replacement at this time.
Dr. Patty Cheng
Dr. David Ardakani (Not Attending)
Dr. David Wong
Honorary Board Member:
Dr. Byron Newman
Meeting ended: 7:50pm
Next meeting: Thurs, August 9th, location TBD