Board Members: Drs. Simona Grosu, Beverly Bianes, Katherine Witmeyer, Courtney Cape, Alyssa Pack, Justin T. Nguyen, Robert Meisel, Erin Swift, Sloan Rajadhyksha, Richard Skay, Alex Scovill, Erin Swift, Andreea Nastasoiu, Jennifer Chinn.
Board Members absent: Drs. Amanda Dexter, Andrew Fasciani, Melanie Langford, David Ardakani, Dave
Sherman, Lucia Millet, Ilya Volk, Patty Cheng, Kathryn Ordonez, and Tatyana Budarina, Byron Newman.
Call to order: 6:35 pm
Secretary: Dr. Courtney Cape
- Reviewed November 2021 minutes. Motion by Dr. Cape to accept November 2022 minutes as written, seconded by Dr. Meisel, motion passed.
Treasurer: Dr. Katherine Witmeyer
- Reviewed January and February P&Ls, motion made by Dr. Witmeyer to accept January and February P&Ls, approved by Dr. Grosu, motion passed.
- Discussed increasing single signature check treasury privileges, which are currently $600.
- The purpose would be to help the treasurer pay for speakers at the honorarium which costs $800.
- Motion by Dr. Skay to raise the single signature check treasury privileges to $800, motion seconded by Dr. Grosu. Motion voted on and passed by the Board.
President-Elect: Dr. Beverly Bianes
- April 21st CE in person location is confirmed to be at the Hilton Mission Valley. The bid reflects the one from the Handlery.
- 90 attendants, 6-10 pm, $2600 food and drink minimum with rotating buffet, likely Italian for the evening
- Parking to be investigated to see if it has improved since the past.
- Another possible location for in-person CE would be at VC clinic in order to promote it.
- Motion by Dr. Skay to approve Upneeq to pay for full bar and stay for social hour, motion seconded by Dr. Meisel. Motion voted on and passed by the Board.
Immediate Past President: Dr. Alexandra Scovill
- No report
President: Dr. Simona Grosu
- Big congratulations to Amanda Dexter being COA president
- HOD report summary discussed
- Budget, membership during pandemic, laws passed and trying to engage young ODs
- Dr. Mendoza, Chris Fisher, Dr. Rochell Lin elected as trustees
- Updated on in-person CEs vs virtual
- April in person, May virtual (might be changed), July in-person with COA
- Discussed tap into reserve to help fund in-person meetings and allow the society get back to normal
Vendor Liaison: Dr. Andrew Fasciani
- Motion made by Dr. Grosu to change verbiage from Sustaining Sponsor to Gold Sponsor on all sponsor advertising and literature
- Seconded by Dr. Pack, voted on and approved by the Board
- 2022 annual sponsors paid to date. Platinum: NVISION Gold: CooperVision, Gordon Schanzlin New Vision Institute, Scanquest, and Wells Fargo
- Discussed La Jolla Lasik (Dr. Nahl) request to be platinum sponsor.
- Motion made by Dr. Skay to accept annual sponsorship pending completed application: EyeCarePro, Luneau Optovue, Professional Labs, Carr Healthcare Realty, Nordic Naturals and Upneeq
- Seconded by Dr. Meisel, voted on and approved by Board
Professional Affairs: Dr. Melanie Langford
- January 27, 2022 2-hour Virtual Webinar (Zoom) Dr. Susan L. Daniel – Optometric treatments for visual and multi-sensory TBI symptoms & Visual evaluation and developmental treatment options for the autistic child.
- 143-Total Participants, 97-SDCOS Members, 3- COA/AOA Members, 41- Students, 2-Non-Members.
- April 21, 2022 2-hour in-person 2-hour CE at the Hilton Mission Valley San Diego.
Speaker Dr. Melissa Barnett – Breaking News! Presbyopia Updates & The Art and Science of Dry Eye and Contact Lens Wear.
- May 26, 2022 2-hour Virtual Webinar (Zoom) Dr. Brittany McMurren – New treatments for dry eye.
- Currently scheduled for virtual webinar exec board to consider changing to in-person.
Membership: Dr. David Ardakani
- 243 members, 5 new, 10 members dropped, 26 in danger of termination
- Jenn Chinn discussed how to bring in young ODs by having events and getting creative
OD Relations: Dr. David Sherman
- No report
Governmental Affairs: Dr. Richard Skay
- No Report
COA Health Care Delivery Systems (HCDS): Dr. Justin Nguyen
- All Anthem patients now go through EyeMed and not VSP for their eye care services
- COA has bill introduced a bill to allow doctors go outside the PIA system for Medi-Cal eyeglasses which would allow turn around time for glasses, which has been even worse with the pandemic, to be faster.
- COA seeking to increase the Medi-Cal reimbursement rates which hasn’t been changed in over 20 years.
Public Awareness: Dr. Bob Meisel
- Monarch Screening February 7 with Drs Skay, Grosu, Bianes and Pack plus 3 UCSD students from Optometry Club: 33 student referrals
- Monarch School exams with VSP Mobile Clinic
- Tuesday 15 March with Dr Grosu
- Wednesday 16 March with Dr Medina
- UCSD Health Fair Saturday 9 April at Montgomery-Waller Park 9:00 – 2:00 – need 1 volunteer for passing out pamphlets and answering questions
LOVC: Andreea Nastasoiu present
- Savings drained for the LOVC and current bank balance will only cover 1 payroll.
- Board and bylaw restructuring to increase Lions donations. They applied for renewed Lions Project status TBD June-July
- Motion made by Dr. Sky that SDCOS provides a $1500 donation, provided this is matched by $6000 by Lions, seconded by Beverely Pack, voted on and passed by the Board
Communications: Dr. Lucia Millet – absent
- Monthly 2022 newsletter: deadline for entries the 15th of the prior month
Webmaster: Dr. Ilya Volk
- No report
Peer Review: Dr. Patty Cheng
– No Report
Dr. Jenn Chinn – Co-Membership chair/New Member Liaison
Dr. Alyssa Pack – Co-Communications Liaison
Dr. Kathryn Ordonez – Sunshine Coordinator – absent
Dr. Sloan Rajadhyksha – Richard Rex Fund Liaison
Dr. Erin Swift – School Liaison
Dr. Tatyana Budarina – Social media/Signs liaison – absent
Honorary Trustee: Dr. Byron Newman – absent
Administrative Director: Nancy-Jo Sinkiewicz
Meeting adjourned: 8:15 pm
Next Board Meeting: May 12th, 2022; Location: Virtual meeting using Zoom