January 9, 2020 @ FruitCraft
Board Members: Drs. Gross, Scovill, Grosu, El-Moghrabi, Grazian, Ardakani, Dexter, Skay, Millet, Boermans, Meisel, Fasciani, Morgan, Chinn, Mathieson, Song, and Ordonez.
Call to order: 7:20 pm
Secretary: Dr. Roula El-Moghrabi (assisted by 2019 Secretary, Dr. Alexandra Scovill)
Reviewed November 2019 Minutes, motion to accept minutes as written by Drs. Skay and Meisel, motion passed.
Treasurer: Dr. Simona Grosu (assisted by 2019 Treasurer, Dr. Wendy Gross)
Reviewed Year End P&L
Reviewed 2020 Budget – Discussed Honorarium budget.
Motion to increase the budget for equipment expenses to $800 by Drs. Meisel and Skaly, motion passed.
Motion to increase the Honorarium fee to $8,325 by Drs Gross and Dexter, motion passed.
2019 Donations to: Braille Institute ($500), PROPAC ($250), Golf Tournament Proceeds: TBD.
President-Elect: Dr. Alexandra Scovill
Discussed ideas for alternative to vendor dinner
Immediate Past President: Dr. Robert Grazian
Recapped 2019 year and reviewed Holiday Party
President: Dr. Wendy Gross
- Welcome and thank you speech
- Reviewed 2019 Calendar of Events.
- Introduced new Board members.
- Introduced and confirmed committee chairpersons
- Assigned Trustees Positions:
- Signs Liaison: Tatyana Budarina, OD
- School Liaison: Nina Song, OD
- Co-Public Awareness: Tiana Mathieson, OD
- Sunshine Coordinator – Kathryn Ordonez, OD
- Richard Rex Fund Liaison: Marceline Ciuffreda, OD
- Co-Membership chair/New Member Liaison – Dr. Jenn Chinn
- Discussed extra materials to be given to Nancy-Jo to be stored in the storage locker.
- Discussed goals for Board meetings and CE meetings
- Discussed Annual Holiday Party Considerations:
- Proposed date: December 5, 2020
- Holiday Party Committee:
- Gross, Meisel, Dexter, Boermans, Odonez, Cuiffreda, and Ms. Nancy-Jo.
- Discussed COA House of Delegates, February 21-22, 2020, Los Angeles
- Discussed COA Legislative Day, April 22nd, Sacramento
- Motion to donate $100 (5x$20 gift card) to raffle “Get Lit” by COA on January 24th from 7:30-9:00pm by Drs. Grazian and Grosu, motion passed.
Vendor Liaison: Dr. David N. Sherman (absent)
- Voted on 2020 Sponsors:
- Motion to accept B&L as sustaining sponsors by Drs Skay and Meisel, motion passed.
- Motion to accept Walls Fargo Finance and ABB optical as sustaining sponsors by Drs Grazian and Skay, motion passed.
- Motion to accept New Sight Medical/Eyecare USA as sustaining sponsors, motion passed.
- Motion to accept California Retina Associates as a platinum sponsor and holiday party sponsors by Drs. Skay and Ardakani, motion passed.
Governmental Affairs: Dr. Richard Skay
Motion to donate $100 to Dr. Paul Tornambe Research Fund by Drs. Skay and Ardakani, motion passed.
Professional Affairs: Dr. Amanda Dexter
Reviewed 2020 CE calendar.
January 2-HR CE- Refractive Surgery Symposium (Thurs Jan 16th).
COA Health Care Delivery Systems (HCDS) Liaison: Dr. Andrew Fasciani
LOVC Liaison: Dr. Michael Morgan
Discussed if evening volunteer needed by LOVC.
Co-Communications Liaisons: Dr. Nickolet Boermans & Dr. Lucia Millet
January newsletter: deadline for entries is 15th of the prior month.
Webmaster: Dr. Ilya Volk (absent)
Discussed communication platform using Moosend Platform
OD Relations: Dr. John Fitzpatrick (absent)
Peer Review: Dr. Paul Lavin (absent)
Public Awareness: Dr. Bob Meisel
- Monarch screening
- Monday 24 February
- Monarch examswith VSP Mobile Clinic
- Tuesday – Wednesday 10-11 March
- Jenn Chinn volunteering all day 10th
- Discussed the need of 1-2 ODs for 11th
- UCSD Health Fair:
- Saturday 11 April 10 am – 3 pm
- Golf tournament:
- Discussed other alternatives
- Veterans Stand Down2020
- No dates yet but probably late June.
- Possible Sponsorship by SDCOS.
- SD Science Fair
- Wednesday, March 11, Balboa Park.
Membership: Dr. David Ardakani
Discussed Dr. Ron Seger’s visit.
Reviewed membership numbers: increased by 10%.
Dr. Jenn Chinn, O.D.
Dr. Marcelline Ciuffreda, O.D.
Dr. Tatyana Budarina, O.D.
Dr. Kathryn Ordonez, O.D.
Dr. Tiana Mathieson, O.D.
Dr. Nina Song, O.D.
Honorary Board Member: Dr. Byron Newman (absent).
Administrative Director: Nancy-Jo Sinkiewicz.
Meeting adjourned: 8:31pm.
Next Board Meeting: February 6, 2020 at NVISION La Jolla.